Associate Fellows Group Committees
If you are interested in serving as a committee chair or serving on an AFG committee, please contact the Chair via the group email at email@example.com.
Ellingson Award Committee:
The Ellingson Award Committee annually recognizes scientific writing achievement among Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance first authors from the AFG:
- In the first quarter of the calendar year, selects candidates for the Award by comparing the current Associate Fellows membership list with the list of first authors found in the December Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance annual journal index and identifying papers authored by Associate Fellows;
- Choses the Award recipient from amongst the candidates by collating scoring (based on a standardised template) by the AFG Officers and Committee Chairs;
- Invites the recipient and the two other top shortlisted candidates to the AFG Breakfast at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting in May;
- Designs and arranges production of the Award (in liaison with the AFG Treasurer) with a budget of $50-$100; and
- Presents the Award at the AFG Breakfast at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting.
The Informatics Committee coordinates with the AFG and AsMA home office in support of electronic information and communication initiatives, including:
- Maintaining the AFG Facebook site and Twitter feed; and
- Posts regular updates to the AFG web site regarding AFG business and other matters of interest; and
- Administers the AFG web site and coordinates with the AsMA web administrator.
The Membership Committee is the guardian of the AFG membership roster and biographical update file:
- Recruits and assists Associate Fellow applicants;
- In liaison with the Chair of the AFG, submits deserving Associate Fellows to the Fellows Group for consideration for Fellow;
- Coordinates with the Treasurer and the Chairs of the Merchandising and Receptions Committee regarding staffing of the Associate Fellows information and merchandising table at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting registration area; and
- Maintains current membership information on the AFG web site.
The Merchandising Committee develops merchandise to enhance the visibility of the AFG, generate revenue to sustain Associate Fellows activities, and sponsor profit-sharing programs providing financial support for the AsMA Home Office or special AsMA projects:
- Organises merchandising activities for the Associate Fellows table at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting;
- Coordinates merchandising efforts with the Chair and Treasurer of the AFG;
- Coordinates with the Chair of the Informatics Committee to include merchandising information on the AFG web page; and
- Coordinates with the Treasurer and Chairs of the Membership and Receptions Committees regarding staffing of the Associate Fellows table at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting in May.
The Nominations Committee manages the election process for AFG Officers and Committee Chairs. Careful selection of Officers and Chairs with AFG operations experience, initiative, and creativity is an essential requirement for growth and development of the AFG:
- In conjunction with the AFG Chair, sends out the annual “Call for Nominations” via email (and liaises with the Informatics Committee to publish this on the AFG Facebook and Twitter accounts);
- Develops a slate of nominations and submits this to the Chair for review;
- Coordinates with the Informatics Committee to publish biographies of the nominees on the AFG web site; and
- Coordinates the annual online election process for Officers and Chairs.
The Receptions Committee arranges for social events held by the AFG:
- Traditionally, the events include the Wednesday morning breakfast meeting and the Tuesday evening social held in conjunction with the AsMA Fellows at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting;
- Coordinates with the AsMA Home Office, meeting planner, Chair of the AFG and the Fellows planning committee regarding these annual events; and
- Coordinates with the Treasurer and Chairs of the Membership and Merchandising Committees regarding staffing of the Associate Fellows table at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting in May.
Scientific Program Committee:
The Scientific Program Committee encourages and mentors Associate Fellows to submit abstracts to the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting Program Committee, and facilitates assignment of Associate Fellows as chairs of Scientific Program sessions and poster sessions at the annual meetings:
- Invites Associate Fellows to establishes a scientific panel composed of Associate Fellows as authors which can then be put forward through the electronic AsMA abstract submission process;
- Participates in the peer review of submitted abstracts and panels at the annual AsMA Scientific Program Committee meeting in November;
- Facilitates the assignment of Associate Fellows as panel and poster chairs for the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting;
- Advertises via its digital platforms any Associate Fellows panels which are being presented at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting;
- Provides assistance as required for the presentation of any AFG-sponsored panel at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting in May;
- Prepares a poster board to advertise any AFG-sponsored panels at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting in May; and
- Using the March issue of the AsMA journal Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance, identifies Associate Fellows who will be presenting at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting, and advertises these presentations to members of the AFG via its digital platforms.
The current information regarding the annual Call for Nominations and Candidate Profile Requirements can be found in the two documents below:
For more information on the activities of the Associate Fellows Group Committees, please refer to the detailed information provided in Section 5 of the AsMA Policy and Procedures Manual, which can be found on the AsMA Governance page at https://www.asma.org/about-asma/association-info/governance.