The Officers of the AFG are the Chair, Senior Chair-Elect, Junior Chair Elect, Secretary, Deputy Secretary, Treasurer, and Immediate Past Chair (ex-officio). The AFG Officer positions constitute the Executive Committee of the AFG, and form part of the AFG Leadership Team along with the Committee Chairs and Deputy Chairs.
Annual Officer Elections
The AFG holds Officer elections each year for:
- Junior Chair-Elect for the following two AFG years (one year as Junior Chair-Elect, then ascends to Senior Chair-Elect);
- Treasurer (two year post, elections held on alternating years with Secretary);
- Secretary (two year post, elections held on alternating years with Treasurer);
- Deputy Secretary (normally a two year post to overlap with the elected Secretary); and
- (as required) Senior Chair-Elect for the immediate next AFG year (one-year post, then ascends to Chair unless promoted earlier) (Note: This position will normally be filled by the Junior Chair-Elect for the previous year, so an election will only be required if both Chair-Elect positions become vacant simultaneously).
Nominations are generally accepted in the second quarter of each calendar year. All AFG members in good standing are eligible to make a self-nomination or to be nominated.
Those interested in considering an Officer position and those wishing to make a nomination should send an email to the attention of the AFG Nominations Chair at email@example.com, or simply respond to the annual “Call for Nominations” and complete the online self-nomination form.
Election results will be announced each June a few weeks after the Associate Fellows breakfast at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting each May.
Officer Duties and Responsibilities and Terms of Office
- Appoints AFG Committee Chairs (in consultation with the Chair of the AFG Nominating Committee);
- Convenes regular meetings of the Officers and Committee Chairs;
- Liaises with AsMA and the Fellows Group;
- Invites special guests to the annual AFG Breakfast; and
- Chairs the annual AFG breakfast.
One-year term after serving as the immediate Chair-Elect for one year; the Chair-Elect assumes the position of Chair after announcement of the annual election results in June of each year.
Assist the Chair in the management of the AFG and its Committees, and serve on one or more standing Committees and Sub-Committees.
Elected as needed depending on vacancies for a one-year term if the Senior Chair-Elect for the immediate next AFG year, and a two-year term if Junior Chair-Elect for the following AFG year. The Senior Chair-Elect assumes the position of Chair after announcement of the annual election results in June of each year.
- Coordinates with the AsMA Home Office regarding dues collection and investments;
- Coordinates with the Secretary, Membership Committee Chair and AsMA Home Office to maintain an accurate record of current AFG membership;
- Reports regularly to the AFG Executive Committee and provides recommendations for investments;
- Coordinates with the AFG Executive Committee and AsMA regarding scholarships and other expenditures or investments;
- Coordinates with the Chairs of the Membership, Merchandising and Receptions Committees regarding staffing of the Associate Fellows table at the AsMA Annual Scientific Meeting in May; and
- Liaises with the Chair, Chairs-Elect, Secretaries, and Chairs of the Ellingson Award and Merchandising Committees regarding the ordering of, and payment for, annual awards given out by the AFG.
Two-year term with biennial elections occurring on alternating years with the Secretary.
Secretary and Deputy Secretary
- Record minutes of the meetings;
- Provides support to the AFG Chair; and
- Coordinates with the Treasurer, Membership Committee Chair and AsMA Home Office to maintain an accurate record of current AFG membership.
Two-year term with biennial elections occurring on alternating years with the Treasurer.
For further information on the annual Call for Nominations and the Candidate Profile Requirements, please refer to the 2019 documents below. For 2020 it is envisaged that this will be an entirely online process with both the self-nomination via a Google Form and uploading of documentation via a web portal.